Bismarck Tribune | Feb 17, 2017
A judge dismissed the criminal trespass charges against three pipeline protesters halfway through their jury trial this morning.
According to lawyers in the courtroom, the judge found the prosecutor had not shown the land was posted or that the protesters had been asked by an authorized person to leave — at least one of which is required to prove criminal trespass.
On Friday morning, a jury was picked and the prosecutor put five highway patrolmen on the stand. After that, the three defense attorneys motioned to get the cases dismissed.
Kent Morrow, who represented one of the women charged, said in an interview after court that the patrolmen testified to people being on private property, but not to anyone with authority over the property telling them to leave.
“The judge said the law and statute is pretty clear,” Morrow said.
In his defense, Morton County…
View original post 177 more words